17 February 2010

THIS is what happens when Canada plays it's first hockey game of these Olympics...



Robson Street was packed after I got back from Marie's. I walked down to meet some friends at the Cactus Club and maybe watch the Russia v. Belarus game. What an exciting feeling in the air. There's a general air of friendship and camaraderie and you don't need to be Canadian to understand how much fun it is to be out late, singing and laughing (and maybe having a beverage of some sort). Later on, when Neil came to meet me and we were walking back through the sea of red, at around midnight-ish, he says, "This is a total mob and yet, I feel completely safe."

When a man did get a little out of hand with sprinkling his water bottle on the crowd, another man calmly approached him to "just relax" - I'm not sure if he was a regular citizen or a plain clothes policeman, but it did feel very safe...


Neil and I decided we try The Bay to see if the lines had subsided. No such luck. We went up to the fifth floor to check out the Olympic gear of other nations and found a few Team Canada things - like mittens - which neither of us needed, but if you do, skip the line and go to the fifth floor. Olympic gear is very scarce right now. I've been trying to get a couple of scarves for the past two days and have experienced failure.

As a side note: just when Neil and I reached the 7-11, we saw someone porting the moose that was at Saxony House two nights ago. Hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment